Chaos Footbag Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chaos Footbag Forum

This is the Chaos Forum. It is for Chaos members, members of lesser clubs, and fans!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Side-out to 15, Rally to 21, or 6 games to win a "Set"

Go down 
2 posters

Which scoring system is best for competitive footbag?
 Side out scoring
 Rally scoring
 "Set" Scoring
View results
AuthorMessage
Jergernaut

Jergernaut

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2008-10-20

Side-out to 15, Rally to 21, or 6 games to win a "Set" Empty
PostSubject: Side-out to 15, Rally to 21, or 6 games to win a "Set"   Side-out to 15, Rally to 21, or 6 games to win a "Set" I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 2:57 pm

What do you think will be or should be the future for scoring in our young sport?

Three "Match" possibilities I can think of are:

1) Keeping side out scoring to 15 points, best 2 out of 3 games.

2) Rally scoring to 21, where every point played results in a team scoring. Best 2 out of 3 games.

3) Winning a "Set" of 6 games, with teams needing to get 6 points to win each game (similar to Tennis).

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each scoring system? Why does a sport like volleyball use rally scoring, whereas Tennis uses "sets," and footbag uses side-outs? What do you think is the future for our sport? Will a change happen, when, and why?
Back to top Go down
Jergernaut

Jergernaut

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2008-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Side-out to 15, Rally to 21, or 6 games to win a "Set"   Side-out to 15, Rally to 21, or 6 games to win a "Set" I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 1:39 pm

BUMP; I have updated the initial post to include a poll. Please vote as you are compelled by your conscience.
Back to top Go down
willy winston III

willy winston III

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Side-out to 15, Rally to 21, or 6 games to win a "Set"   Side-out to 15, Rally to 21, or 6 games to win a "Set" I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 3:37 pm

CC and I have tried all three different ways . (We played the "sets" version exactly like tennis as opposed to the way you described, but it's the same thing really.) It really doesn't make a difference: the better player wins no matter how you keep track of the points.

The question isn't how to keep score, it's how long should a match last? Side-out scoring and tennis scoring both have the potential to make a match last forever; theoretically speaking, of course. Rally scoring with a cap (win by two unless you get to 27 or something like that) makes for a faster game, in my opinion. I like rally scoring, and I REALLY liked watching the beach volleyball during the Olympics and the way that they played (rally points, switch sides every 7 points, first to 21 wins). We tried to play like that at the park a couple of times, but most of the guys didn't like it. (I guess old habits die hard...) Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you play with rally scoring, you do not switch serve sides before the first serve of a new run, do you? I think that's why nobody liked playing that way: they were to used to switching serve sides at each change of "possession".

During warm-ups on the court, CC and I decided once to keep score. Instead of each of us taking a serve from each side of the court and then switching up, we played mini-"games" to 2 points for our warm-up, with one guy making every serve for each individual mini-game. It made warm-up a little more fun and it was the closest I came to besting that bastard all summer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.inner-rectangle.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Side-out to 15, Rally to 21, or 6 games to win a "Set"   Side-out to 15, Rally to 21, or 6 games to win a "Set" I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Side-out to 15, Rally to 21, or 6 games to win a "Set"
Page 1 of 1