Chaos Footbag Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chaos Footbag Forum

This is the Chaos Forum. It is for Chaos members, members of lesser clubs, and fans!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How to Get Started in Net

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jergernaut

Jergernaut

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2008-10-20

How to Get Started in Net Empty
PostSubject: How to Get Started in Net   How to Get Started in Net I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 11:04 pm

When a footbag player recently asked me how to get started in the net world, here's what I wrote to him. If you have different advice or other advice, please post it here for the benefit of new players lurking here.

My comments:

"The best way to learn to play net is to get touches with a net bag. Form wise, the kicks are similar, however learning to control the net bag takes probably 50,000-100,000 kicks, whereas with freestyle, you might get control with only 10-15,000 kicks.

That being said, the best ways to get touches are to 1) power kick, basically 1 touch passing back and forth with rainbow-arching kicks, or 2) kicking a net bag against a wall, practicing all 4 kicks, standing about 2-3 feet from the wall and aiming at a 3-4 foot mark.

Wall kicking is probably the more preferable choice unless you have a partner who is also interested in learning to kick a net bag. Whereas a human partner will often miss, the wall will always feed the ball back to you assuming you kick it with the right trajectory. The only prob with wall kicking is the boring factor. It is hard for me to do it for more than 15 minutes at a time unless I'm really focused on developing a skill.

My advice is to find a wall that is flat and is at least 15 feet high; its actually quite easy to kick the bag on the roof with lower walls. Try 15 minutes a day, or until you reach 300 kicks against the wall. Keep in mind that the best and most important kicks to learn for net are the outside kicks done at the side of the hip or slightly behind your body (blocking the bag and using it's momentum to send it forward).

In terms of progression, I'd say doin your wall kicks will help to get control. Also, work your alternating insides as in freestyle consec kicking.
Practice until you can get 100. You should try to keep those kicks at no higher than 3-4 feet in the air, which means barely touching the bag. Also, try consecutive right and left foot outside kicks, aiming for a target height of about 10 feet. Eventually you can alternate btwn left and right, as in doing rainbow kicks, but this is actually quite difficult.

Spikes are fun to learn but typically require you to have a net and the knowledge to set one up correctly. If you lack these, you might try hanging a bag from a beam in your house or from the roof at about 6 feet high. A slip knot deal will work the best so that you can lower the ball to as low as 5 feet or as high as 7ish. A hook and some shoelace is typically all you need (plus a creative way to feed the shoelace through a net bag). There's a pic in my footblog 2-3 pages back of me kicking a hanging ball if you need a reference."
Back to top Go down
Zeke

Zeke

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-10-23

PostSubject: Re: How to Get Started in Net   How to Get Started in Net I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 2:54 pm

The Wall...

never drops
never gives a bad pass
never gets tired
never makes excuses
is there on time
never cancels last minute
never talks shit
never does stupid dances
never complains about the spot
will play in any weather
never gets injured
won't cry if you kick it
never misses
is reliable
won't waste your minutes
always passes
never talks too much
never takes breaks
never complains about you
always digs your spikes
always returns your serves
is always focused
never rests
never complains about you being late
will always play at your pace
always wants to play

Despite the growing scene here in Chicago, we're still spread out across the city and suburbs. When I don't have other players available to train with, I've found that wall ball has helped me abundantly to learn control (or at least get used to kicking) a net bag and build up my weak side kicks. It's also helped with sets and basic spikes and serves. It's a freakin' great way to release stress after a shitty day of work. Just imagine your boss or coworkers face about 5 feet off the ground, hand toss a net bag and smash away! Retrieve footbag and repeat to your hearts content!

Some of the few cons of wall ball:
-can get boring
-can't work all skills against a wall. Some just require a partner and a net, serve returns, for example.
Back to top Go down
http://www.footbag.org/gallery/member/13150
Pat McCrotch

Pat McCrotch

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: How to Get Started in Net   How to Get Started in Net I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 1:47 am

Old topic, but hardly anyone in my state plays net and I'm new to the forum. Thanks for the solo training idea
Back to top Go down
Jergernaut

Jergernaut

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2008-10-20

PostSubject: Re: How to Get Started in Net   How to Get Started in Net I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 2:24 am

Next week look for the following videos to be added to my youtube account:

Basic kicks
Power kicking
Wall kicking
Hanging bag for Spike Practice
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to Get Started in Net   How to Get Started in Net I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to Get Started in Net
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chaos Footbag Forum :: Training :: Practice Formats, Drills, Tips ,Techniques-
Jump to: